Thursday, May 3, 2012

Those Places Thursday: Toones Chapel

Toones Chapel is located in Tulip, Dallas County, Arkansas. It is the name for both the church and the cemetery, that is located on this plot of land.  Toones Chapel Church was build in 1914, and is part of the African Methodist Episcopal directory.

Toones Chapel A. M. E. Church
Photo taken by me
I am not sure when the first burial occurred, but, I did find a headstone for Louella Smith; daughter of Alexander & Lucy Smith, who died 06 April 1888.  When I photographed the headstones, back in 2004, there were a number of missing and broken headstones. The cemetery is still in use today.

Toones Chapel Cemetery
Photo taken by me

Most of my family from the area, attend the Church and are buried in the Cemetery. The Smith -Sloan Family Reunion is held on the church grounds every July. Below is a Google Map of the current location.


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment