Saturday, April 7, 2012

Connecting with a Cousin

Sometime ago, I was listening to a podcast by Lisa Louise Cooke, from Genealogy Gems; talking about connecting with living cousins. I guessed I filed that piece of information away in my brain and forgot about it, until I was searching for some additional information on my great-aunt Mary Annie SLOANE. Mary was my paternal grandfather's sister.

Photo of Mary Annie Sloan, from author's collection.

Mary was born 24 Nov 1913 in Tulip, Arkansas to Mary Bertha nee Smith & William Andrew Wesley Sloane. In 1946, Mary married Ulicious Glymph in Grant County, Arkansas (see marriage record below).
Marriage Record of Ulicious Glymph & Mary Annie Sloans
"Arkansas County Marriages, 1837-1957," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NMPC-N3B : accessed 7 April 2012), Ulicious Glymph (1946).
UPDATE: Ulicious Jr. & his brother, are not actually children of Mary Anne Sloan & Ulicious Glymph Sr.; but are the children of Ulicious Sr., and his first wife Anna Bee Hannon.
To this union, two children were born: Ulicious Glymph Jr.(who died in 2004); and a still living son. Mary died on 26 Apr 1990 in Tulip, Arkansas. She is buried in Toones Chapel Cemetery, Tulip, Arkansas. Mary married two additional times and had two additional children; Alvester Hawkins, (who died in 2001) & another living son. In a effort to learn more about Mary, I tried to research her spouses.

 I did a quick search for the name "Ulicious Glymph" in Google and I was able to located a website researching the Glymph line. On the first page of the site, was listed some contact information and I quickly wrote a letter to the web site creator in hopes of finding a match in their Ulicious and mine. On Thursday night, I recieved a phone call from the wife of the web site creator, and found out they were the one and the same Ulicious Glymph. Happy Dance!

Well, you might ask, who is this new cousin? My new cousin, is the niece of Ulicious & Mary Glymph, on the Glymph side. She & her sister contacted me based on a letter I sent to her brother-in-law, who had created the website! It turns out, her family and I, both grew up in the Bay Area and they still live there, not far from my Dad and Grandmother's houses. She also states, she has cousins in my neck of the woods. What a small world we live in!

My new cousins, sent me a 14 page document listing back seven generations of the Glymph line. This line extends from Arkansas and back to Newberry, South Carolina. I was doing a quick reading of the family history, she sent to me, and was even able to locate a additional marriage between one of her family members and mine!

So, take this as a reminder to keep looking for living relatives, not just collect the names of the dead.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could find some of my father's people. This would be on the Hannon"s side. I am John B Hannon"s daughter, John and Annie were brother and sister. Annie was married to Ulicious. if there is someone to help me please email me at budygurl90@gmail.com. by the way I am Patricia John B Hannon"s daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could find some of my father's people. This would be on the Hannon"s side. I am John B Hannon"s daughter, John and Annie were brother and sister. Annie was married to Ulicious. if there is someone to help me please email me at budygurl90@gmail.com. by the way I am Patricia John B Hannon"s daughter.

    ReplyDelete